Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Bible Reading

Sarah and I are both reading our Bibles in chronological order this year. It's not really that hard if you stay on task...We both fell behind when Abby was born and we have been trying to catch up ever since!
I've tried different things over the years, but it has turned out that I have read through the Bible one year and then I have focused on a specific part of it the next year (like the New Testament or the Gospels, etc.). I try to switch versions in order to get a fresh view of what it is saying. Last year I focused on studying through the NT in the New Living Translation. This year I am reading through the whole Bible in the English Standard Version and I am enjoying it the nuances it has over the NIV. I think that next year I might try reading The Message translation.

Here's are my questions:
  • What is the hardest thing for you about reading and studying the Bible? What do you struffle the most with?
  • What are some things that you have tried that have helped you in that area or in others areas of Bible study?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am one to be all for bible studies. As one person reading the bible alone and at your own pace it is truely hard to grasp important ideas and messages this wonderful book has to offer. For me I can read a passage and have deep feelings and understanding for that specific thought or action yet another can grasp a whole new concept from the exact passage. with that said bible studies are very intreging because you not only can discus topics and specific passages, and at the same time pick up important issues/ideas that you might have originally overread. Excellent question sam! Hopefully my responce makes sence.lol

Ryan Underwood said...

I'm trying to do the same this year also, I just finally made it through Leviticus this morning. One thing that has helped me is I got an audio bible on my ipod and I listen to it while I'm reading along. Really helps me stay focused and I feel like I am retaining more.

Topherspoon said...

Bible on CD.

My favorite...the Bible Experience

"Inspired By!"

Sam Snyder said...

Thanks guys for you input and ideas! I will be putting a summary of the messages, emails, responses, and texts that I got from this. Very interesting stuff, thanks for helping us all get more out of God's Word!