Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Ipod Faith?

Have you ever thought about the cultural phenomenon that the Ipod is? They're everywhere! You can't even give them out as prizes anymore because everyone and their cousin has one! Seriously, has the Ipod created a movement within culture or is it simply an expression of it? All I know is that there's this interesting relation between the Ipod and how many people view faith. The vast majority of Americans consider themselves spiritual yet Christianity as a movement does not comprise the vast majority of Americans. If you sit and talk spirituality with people, I would suggest it, you might notice, as I have, that this spirituality tends to be a blend a la carte of different religions.
Much like the Ipod personalizes your music selection by allowing you to listen to what you want when you want, (and even customize the interface to look the way you want) we have taken pieces from random religions and blended them together to form I-Faith. I think that sometimes this effects Christians too, we become I-Christians. You know who you are :) We say: "I think that..." OR "I don't think that..." OR "I don't believe that..." But so many times our beliefs are simply what we want them to be or what makes us feel good and are in now way TRUE!
Just something to think about. It's such an easy trap for us to fall into. If you catch yourself defending or opposing something, but you couldn't in any way point to where in the Story of the Bible you got that conviction from, it may be that you have fallen victim to the I-generation.

No comments: